Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:47:16 -0500
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.org, embedded@FreeBSD.org, fabient@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: First cut at hwpmc support on MIPS

On Feb 18, 2010, at 00:04 , M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <42B59FCC-7A59-4383-BE4E-366B80B504BF@neville-neil.com>
>            George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com> writes:
> : Hi,
> :=20
> : I've got this running on my RouterStation Pro, which is a MIPS 24K =
(32bit) CPU.
> : Please review and let me know if you have comments.  I'd like to =
commit this
> : in a week or so.
> :=20
> : Best,
> : George
> :=20
> : http://people.freebsd.org/~gnn/mipshwpmc_1.diff
>=20
> These counters are for the MIPS 24K.  Other counters exist on other
> MIPS processors, so I'd think that you'd want to have at least the
> name be something less generic.  I hate to complain about the name,
> but I know that the Octeon counters are on the roadmap for some work
> that is likely going to happen.  Plus I think Randal was making noises
> that he or one of the RMI guys was going to do something similar for
> the XLR CPU.

Yes, I was originally thinking MIPS24K, but then I thought that too
specific.  Can anyone point me to a site or docs that give an idea
of how the MIPS architectures differ so I can come up with a somewhat
intelligent naming scheme?  I figure the easiest thing to do for these
counters is move to MIPS_24K, must like we have INTEL_FOO.

Best,
George