Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:41:45 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jim@osd.bsdi.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported hardware list(s)

--==_Exmh_754907370P

If memory serves me right, Jim Mock wrote:

> Once again, I've been tasked with getting the handbook up-to-date and
> ready to print a 2nd edition.  It needs quite a bit of work, most of
> which I'll address in another message later.  For now, I'd like to get
> the hardware list down to *one* place.  Right now we have different
> lists in 3 places -- the install chapter, the appendix, as well as
> HARDWARE.TXT.  The last is probably the most likely candidate to be kept
> up-to-date, so, I think we should take advantage of it.

Jim--

You asked for it, you got it...

First, there are actually six different places where we list hardware:
The install chapter in the handbook, the appendix in the handboox, src/
release/texts/HARDWARE.TXT, src/release/texts/i386/RELNOTES.TXT, src/
release/texts/alpha/ RELNOTES.TXT, and src/release/texts/alpha/
HARDWARE.TXT.  The "generic" HARDWARE.TXT and the platform-specific
RELNOTES.TXT files are probably the two that get updated the most
frequently; the alpha-specific HARDWARE.TXT file deals with which alpha
hardware platforms we can run on.  Note that some of these files are
even organized differently (i.e. section headers, etc.).  It's ugly, and
I'll freely assume my share of the blame for making it so.

> Here's what I propose:
>
>    1) Nuke the hardware compatibility appendix.  It's quite out of date,
>       and since no one has taken an interest in "claiming" it as their
>       own, we should get rid of it.

Well, it's out of date, but at least on first glimpse, it appears to
have some useful information that isn't found anywhere else in our
documentation.

>    2) In the install chapter, do as we do elsewhere -- link to
>       HARDWARE.TXT on ftp.FreeBSD.org, or to the one on the reader's
>       system at /usr/src/release/texts/HARDWARE.TXT.  Granted, the 2nd
>       will only work if the reader has source installed, but we could
>       provide a link to both to make that a non-issue.

A possibility...

> I'm interested in hearing what others think -- I know there are a lot of
> folks who'd like to see one hardware list, and I'm one of them :-)
> Comments?

I think the end goal is a good one.  I was working on this issue from a
slightly different angle.  I talked with a few people at BSDCon about
the subject of fixing up the *.TXT files, specifically, doing them up in
DocBook.  The goal of this exercise would be to produce a smaller set of
files for the release notes (e.g. one file total, not one per platform)
and hardware lists which is customized when output is generated to apply
to different plaforms.  Also, we could do "better looking" release notes
in PDF, PS, HTML, TXT, and so forth, possibly with some help from the
stylesheet gurus amongst us.

I got some weak agreement to this idea, then I went off and did some
DocBook coding, and then got bogged down in Real Work (TM).  (Note:  I'm
still in that mode.)  I've put a snapshot of my work at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes.tar.gz

(Don't laugh too hard at my markup...I don't know what the heck I'm
doing.  But thanks to nik for pointing me at a way of doing this using
marked sections.)

This directory tree lives in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles on my
workstation; I don't know enough about the document build process to
make it build anywhere else.  The idea is that you edit the files in
relnotes/common (especially relnotes/common/new.sgml and relnotes/
common/hw.sgml).  Then you'd actually do the builds of the release notes
in relnotes/i386, relnotes/alpha, or whereever.

My goal was to be able to nuke HARDWARE.TXT and throw everything into
new.sgml and hw.sgml; these would then generate an architecture-specific
RELNOTES.TXT (or relnotes.pdf or relnotes.html or...).

I still haven't figured out the ramifications for the release-building
process yet; it looks like this makes having release notes dependent on
both a doc tree plus the DocBook toolchain. Someone (dougb?) suggested
putting a placeholder RELNOTES.TXT in src/ release/texts/${arch} that
gets overwritten by the "real" release notes if we actually generate
them.

Other things I'm stalled on:  Lack of time (of course), and experience
at doing the SGML markup.  Also the myriads of hardware info lists would
need to be consolidated.  Finally, the doc tree as it stands is not
branched (a la CVS), but putting release notes in the doc tree would
mandate it.  (Putting it in the src tree doesn't automatically solve
the problem, because I think there's some dependencies on some files,
such as style sheets or entity definitions, that only live in the doc
tree.)

So...if we got this to work, one thing the handbook *could* do would be
just to include some version of this file.  But on the other hand, maybe
it could just point to the end product of this thing I've been tinkering
with.

Is this helpful?  Comments?

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_754907370P