Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:53:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Terribile <materribile@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: which 8-port 10/100 hub is best?

[Greg Lehey]
> [W. D.]
>> [Gary Kline]

>>>	I'm upgrading my hub from a 5-port hub and thought I would check
>>>	with this list ...
>> If there is a possibility that you will have some heavy traffic
>> at times, the best hub is a switch!  You are likely to have
>> less bandwidth wasting collisions during high traffic periods.

> ... hubs are obsolete.  You can find switches for almost nothing nowadays;
> don't buy hubs.

> ... I've never had problems with cheap switches, so I would tend to
> buy by price.

About five years ago, when miniature hubs came out, I did have a bad
experience with one.  When the load neared 100 MBit/sec and stayed that
high for half a minute or so, it would reset, taking at least half a minute
to start up again.

If you really mean to put it under load, be sure you can get a refund.

    Mark Terribile