Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:49:29 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3ware and RAID0 vs RAID 1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>

| Bonnie results on these cards tend to suggest that they're fairly slow
| writers.  It's 3ware also observed this, but commented that with two
| writers they found more bandwidth.  I suspect that the write overhead
may
| be fairly high, leading to a lot of dead time while writing (the read
| overhead is also an issue I guess).  I haven't done a lot of timing
tests,
| as I'm typically more concerned with functionality and reliability.

Are there any other IDE RAID cards supported under FreeBSD?  I had been
considering this one when I read about a few weeks ago, but if RAID1 is
a dog, it's kind of worthless to me.

Is RAID0 still faster than a single IDE disk?  My first use for one of
these cards would be a RAID0 SQUID cache, the other uses would have been
RAID1.

They're cheap enough that it might be worth getting a couple for the
hell of it.