Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:05:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Samara McCord <mccord@zytek.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world exposes memory errors!?

I'm a believer...  I had a machine running er- Linux for months with no
problems.  Never did any heavy duty compile on it.  Installed Solaris x86,
and for the life of me, I couldn't build a new GCC.  This was before I
knew what signal 11 might have been trying to tell me.

About a month ago I started tinkering with it and installed FBSD.  No
problems installing, but during the *second* make world, sig 11.  Sent
memory back for a refund (my hardware dealer is a nice guy) and did 4 more
make worlds with new memory, and I never saw the problem again.  I've
found *lots* of bad memory this way.  Putting this memory in a Windoze
machine is kind of fun if you don't like the person you're giving it to.
The incidences of unexplained crashes really increase under 95...

Charles