Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2013 17:00:23 +0100
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backups using rsync

On 2013-03-04 03:35, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> As a result of this past Black Friday weekend, I now enjoy a true
> abundance of disk space, for the first time in my life.
>
> I wanna make a full backup, on a weekly basis, of my main system's
> shiny new 1TB drive onto another 1TB drive that I also picked up cheap
> back on Black Friday.
>
> I've been planning to set this up for some long time now, but I've
> only gotten 'round to working on it now.
>
> Now, unfortunately, I have just been bitten by the evil... and
> apparently widely known (except to me)... ``You can't use dump(8) to
> dump a journaled filesystem with soft updates'' bug-a-boo.
>
> Sigh.  The best laid plans of mice and men...
>
> I _had_ planned on using dump/restore and making backups from live mounted
> filesystems while the system was running.  But I really don't want to have
> to take the system down to single-user mode every week for a few hours while
> I'm making my disk-to-disk backup.  So now I'm looking at doing the backups
> using rsync.

Yes, this should be possible...

One thing that can bite you when using rsync to traverse & copy large
filesystems is that the filesystem may still be changing beneath rsync
*as it's doing* the copy.

If this is a UFS2 filesystem, it may be a good idea to snapshot the
filesystem, and then rsync-backup the snapshot instead.