Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:54:48 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupt MBOX

The problem is caused by bad headers that trip up pop.  Pop reads the email
file looking for the headers and the body of the message.  If the header is
not complete, pop servers give an error and quit.  This usually causes
users to get multiple copies of mail until the error is encountered or no
pop email at all.

The only way I have found to fix this is to either use pine and delete the
bad message.  Pine is better at handling mal-formed headers.  Or to use a
webmail interface to delete the bad email.

         -Derek