Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:38:14 +0800
From:      Geoff Glasson <g_glasson@wiredcity.com.au>
To:        lichtner@9online.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 89, Issue 20

Edward,

I believe that this problem was discussed on the kde-freebsd mailing list.

The simple answer to your problem is that there appears to be a defect in K=
DE=20
that causes this to occur.  I had ( what I believe to be ) the same problem=
=20
as you, and when I got it running within an xterm I discovered that KDE=20
expects the /tmp/.ICE-unix/ directory tree to be owned by root.  I fix this=
=20
problem using the following ( not very efficient ) method:

1. Attempt a KDE login ( which will create all the .ICE-unix directories=20
before failing )
2. Login as root using the failsafe session and issue the command

    chown -R root /tmp/.ICE-unix

    in an xterm
3. Log out of the failsafe session
4. Log back as the original user

I do it this way because it's easier for my wife and kids to use the comput=
er=20
by logging in via KDM rather than giving them a shell login.  Since my=20
machine doesn't get rebooted very often this is not a drama for me ;)

Hope this helps...Geoff

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:10 pm, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:00:36 +0100
> From: Edward Lichtner <lichtner@9online.fr>
> Subject: How do I get KDM to launch KDE ?
> To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
> Hi,
> I selected KDM to run at startup by editing /etc/ttys :
> ttyv8   =B3/usr/local/bin/kdm =ADnodaemon=B2   xterm   on   secure
> I also created a .xsession file both in /root and in my home directory wi=
th
> the line :
> exec startkde
> When I reboot, KDM starts up but when I login (correct password), the log=
in
> windows disappears, the KDM background remains and KDE doesn=B9t start.
> However, KDE starts fine when I run startx in a terminal session.
> Is there something I didn=B9t do properly ?
> Thanks,
> Edward
>
> BTW, I use FreeBSD 5.3, Xorg 6.7.0-9, KDE 3.3.0-4

Geoff Glasson
g_glasson@wiredcity.com.au