Date:      19 Jul 2003 10:54:28 -0700
From:      Mark <mw@lanfear.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security of adding users for "accounts" ??

hey!

  i hope this isn't too silly a question, but one of the really easy
ways we've found to manage "accounts" for customers is to just go and
create actual unix accounts for them on our FreeBSD boxes, which helps
us organise everything from directories to where programs look for
their info, etc ...

  now, to keep things "safer", we always deny the accounts shell
access by setting the shell field in /etc/passwd to /sbin/nologin

  but ....

  we're still wondering if there are any security implications to
consider from doing this, and if there are any other, perhaps better
ways to manage non-trivial numbers of customer accounts ... we're
only in the dozens now, but it may get into the hundreds in the
future.

  thanks!
  mark.