Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:24:29 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chuck Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>, "Eric Crist" <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Backup Mail Server Questions

Exactly, this is the wrong way to do this for 80 users.  Now, 80,000
users, that's different.

> My opinion is that it's better to go with a primary mail reader
> box and make
> very certain that box doesn't go down by using redundant hardware
> and a backup
> network link is easier and less likely to suffer from the "lets create a
> complex system with lots of moving parts which never gets fully
> tested and
> thus breaks in some weird way when the unexpected happens" syndrome.  :-)

I concur completely.  The ISP I work at has a heck of a lot more than 80
users and we use a single mailserver as the pop/imap server.  Building a
server that don't go down ain't rocket science.  Building a network that
don't go down is a bit harder, but BGP is for that.  In any case what
matters
with mailservers isn't that the network connection from the server to the
Internet be reliable, what matters is the network connection from the
mailserver
to the clients that use it be reliable.

If your users are all at one location the mailserver should be there, if
they
are all across the Internet, colocate your mailserver at a real ISP.

Ted