Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 01:07:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

> Maybe. However, the last time I mentioned something like this on
> -advocacy, I was flamed for being "off topic!" So, I decided to
> post to -chat, where no one could make that accusation.

[ ... ]

> >The invitation for comments looks like "and I'll whup the man what
> >says it ain't so" -- I think the article itself is sufficient
> >solicitation.
>
> I'm not looking to "whup the man who says it ain't so," but I would
> like to hear if there are strong arguments on the other side.

[ ... ]

> >such that the
> >message was not damned in some small minds by the messenger.
>
> Am I such a bad person to serve as the messenger? Yes, I have
> said some controversial things here in the past, and that may
> have rubbed a few people the wrong way. But I think that folks
> will agree that I mean well, even if I have ideas that they
> sometimes consider to be odd.

There is a particular aspect to your style, evidenced by the
"Comments?" invitation, that has a social tendency to be taken
as you attempting to challenge the status quo.

If you could merely provide the information, without editorializing
it, I think that people would be more receptive.

I also think you have a tendency to defend with zeal ideas which
require a more politic and less knee-jerk defense, if they are
to be accepted.

If you could take a page from that URL you posted about the
"Critique of Vulgar Raymondism", and in particular, the
referenced link about Lysenkoism, you would probably be more
effective in communicating on -advocacy.

Now people might say "Terry is one to talk...", but I think my
own position is more akin to that of Jamie Zawinski.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.