Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:59:15 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, Nick.Barnes@pobox.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recommended notebook for FreeBSD

> >> A recommended laptop for FreeBSD v4.4 is the IBM Thinkpad 600E (Model:
> >> 2645-4au) series. I was testing for v4.3 and 4.4 of FreeBSD. Zero problems.
> >
> > While I think my 600E (2645-5AU) is a great platform for FreeBSD,
> > there are a couple of gotchas that hit the new user. Once fixed, they
> > are easy to forget about (with the exception of sound).
> >
> > First, ThinkPads use a separate utility, ps2, to set up most BIOS
> > options. Only a couple of things are adjustable from the boot setup
> > mode. While ps2 will not run under FreeBSD, you can make a bootable OS
> > floppy with the ps2.exe file on it (if you have Windows on your 600E)
> > or download a floppy image from the IBM web site. (Sorry, but I don't
> > have the URL, but it's in the archives and not too hard to find on the
> > site.)
>
> I don't know the 600E, which is not a current production machine, but
> the newer machines don't need a separate setup utility.

Sure they do.  How do you enable/disable IrDA on your ThinkPad?  Either
with the Windows utility (which is a wrapper around PS2), or with the
DOS PS2 utility.

(I've got a ~4 month old T21 sitting next to me.)

> I suspect
> that most of the other comments are related to this particular model
> as well.

I'm typing on a 600E, and am about to replace it with the
afore-mentioned T21.  They are almost exactly the same in terms of
configuration and support.

> Some more recent Thinkpads come with a built-in PCI Ethernet card,
> which is both faster and easier to integrate than the PCMCIA cards.

Very true.  However, the built-in card doesn't support 10-base 2, which
is what I have at my home, so I have to use the older combo PCMCIA card.

Nate