Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:35:17 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Versioning bsd.port.mk

We could create a bsd.port.mk target to rewrite the port Makefile (eek)
with bsd.port.mk's current version.  I can't think of any obvious way
to do something passively like the value in bsd.port.mk, since there's
no way to compare the dates without some reference of what was current
when the port was committed.

update-required-bsd.port.mk-version:
	mv Makefile Makefile.bak
	sed -e "s/NEED_MK_VERSION=.*/NEED_MK_VERSION=	${BSD_PORT_MK_VERSION}/" < Makefile.bak > Makefile

Or, the bsd.port.mk version requirement could be stored in a file in the
files/ directory -- I like this one less, since the Makefile is generally
the thing that creates the requirement for a certain version, but it's
certainly easier to maintain without worrying about spamming the Makefile
when trying to automatically update it.

  Bill