Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:13:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gpib driver - does anybody use it?

>I stumbled upon the (undocumented) gpib driver today - apparently for
>the "National Instruments AT-GPIB and AT-GPIB/TNT board", according to
>LINT. Apart from staticization sweeps, -Wall fixes and the like,
>nobody's touched it since 1995. Does anybody have an AT-GPIB board, or
>even know what it is?

I don't have one, but I know what these are.  It's an interface for
talking to lab equipment like voltmeters, scanners, all sort of stuff.
All this "stuff" of course has to have a GPIB interface as well, but it
gets used a lot by those types of people.  If I worked in a lab, I'd
almost assuredly be using the driver.  No idea if it works.

>Is there a good reason (or any reason at all) why we shouldn't just
>bobbit it?

It kills me to watch this go, but the surest way to bring a maintainer out
of the woodwork is to kill it.  :-)  If I still used this stuff, I think
this would be a *great* project to call my own.  Deep sigh.  But it's all
in the CVS tree, so if someone pops up, hey the stuff is still there for
the resurrection.

Brian