Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:02:30 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        Per von Zweigbergk <pvz@itassistans.se>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFR][ZFS] Add "zpool labelclear" command.

On 15 June 2011 14:13, Per von Zweigbergk <pvz@itassistans.se> wrote:

> We here at IT-assistans have found the ability to clear ZFS labels very
> useful for testing. We have an internal utility written in-house to clear
> ZFS labels. It's rather dumb and dangerous which is why I have chosen not to
> publish it. (Oh, the irony of being held accountable for a utility designed
> to cause data loss causing data loss.) Having a labelclear command with some
> extra molly guards on it in the normal userspace ZFS commands would be
> useful to us at least for

Its worth noting that its not necessarily a good idea to let zfs handle a
raw disk. There is a good argument that you should partition/slice it up
with a gig or so less capacity than the drive has.This is due to all drives
X TB capacity not being equal. One block less and you new 2TB drive wont
work in you existing array. Because of this I always manually gpt up my disk
1st. Therefore I only have to wipe the GPT label to clear the disk