Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:26:44 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's partition layout incompatible with Win98?

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 08:09:15AM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 06:32:28PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> >

> > > I'm running a machine which has Win95, WinNT 4.0 and FreeBSD (2.2.6)
> > > installed on one disk. Nothing peculiar theses days.
> > >
> > > Now I wanted to upgrade WIn95 to Win98 and the Win98 installation
> > > failed right at the beginning when the setup examined the computer.
> > >
> > > It said, it cannot cope with a 64KB FAT partition. Hmm, is it that
> > > small slice that FreeBSD always creates when it asks the user
> > > to create a partition layout being compatible with future operating
> > > systems?
> >
> > Perhaps you have no free partition space on that disk?  FreeBSD may leave
> > a 64k slice to make sure the slice is cylinder-aligned.
>
> This may be the case. The disk does in fact have no free partition.
> But so what, when I want to install Win98 over Win95 there is
> no new partition creation involved. Win98 just says it finds
> a 64K FAT partition and that's too small to cope with and aborts
> the setup.
>
> I think it's FreeBSD part now to get things straight. Couldn't it
> mark that 64K partition non-FAT, i.e. 165? I believe then Win98 would
> leave it's fingers off that partition.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen strange things like this become possible if you
know how, and microsoft isn't telling (recall the popular but undocumented
fdisk /mbr). Maybe there's some switch or something that will let you point
the upgrader to the partition you want to use. Someone on a windoze
newsgroup or similar might have already purchased the simple answer to your
problem. Worth a try.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-