Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:12:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMTP server setup

On 8 Nov 2001, [ISO-8859-1] S=F8ren Neigaard wrote:

> I need to setup a SMTP server (I may have to run it on Linux, I'm having
> a hard time converting them to FreeBSD), and I just want to know if its
> hard, and where to find a good tutorial.

Depending on your definition of hard... :-)  Sendmail has decent
documentation, an O'Reilly book, etc.

> I also have a special requirement; It must require a username/password
> to send mails (do I have to do this with OS users, or can I setup a
> seperate database of users).

This is called "SMTP AUTH" and is supported by Sendmail, and you can use
a separate database of users.

> Oh yes, and then there is the million $ question... When a user sends
> a mail to this server, I want it to take the mail-data (sender,
> subject and body) and deliver this to a URL as parameters. Can this be
> done, or what is possible?

Sendmail's Milter API could do this, or you could probably also do it with
something like procmail as the local delivery agent.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com