Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:24:33 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Resale Question

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 03:22:43PM +0000, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:04:06AM -0500, Michael Wason wrote:
> > I wish to create CDs from the ISO images on the website and
> > re-sell them localy. Do I need a lience to do this?
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> The BSD license permits you to do this if you wish.=20

There's an important distinction here.  The code on the CDs (which you
can also obtain freely by other means, like cvsup) is under the BSD
license, but the CDs themselves are aggregate products which are not
*necessarily* covered by the same license (i.e. someone could put
together their own CD image containing FreeBSD code and state that the
CD cannot be redistributed without permission).

However, the ISO images provided by the FreeBSD project may be resold
without license from us, so the answer to the original question is
'no'.

This probably should be stated explicitly in the README.TXT in the ISO
directories (CC'ed to re@).

Kris

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH--