Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:32:59 +0300 (WET)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
To:        Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>
Cc:        sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64 bootable CD

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Thomas Moestl wrote:

> On Tue, 2002/08/20 at 16:31:49 +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> > Its more complicated than I thought.
> > It is pretty straightforward for sparc in NetBSD
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html#sparcimage
> > I was actually trying to make bootable images for sparc64 in brothers of
> > FreeBSD =) The NetBSD and OpenBSD and I thought since there is a working
> > sparc64 image in FreeBSD (I already installed it and made a installation
> > document) I thought the FreeBSD people would know the thing I am doing
> > wrong.
> > I downloaded the miniroot.fs and made a iso with mkisofs with
> > NetBSD and OpenBSD files and then I tried to  do
> > mksunbootcd output.sio miniroot.fs miniroot.fs miniroot.fs
> > but well something went wrong.
>
> Humm, what exactly?

I think OpenBSD said "The file just loaded does not appear to be
executable" But =) Now when I tried again I issued "boot cdrom:b"
and it worked. I guess I was just impatient with this so my
impatience made me fail. Perhaps tomorrow I should try NetBSD again with
different options. Then return to you.

About NetBSD I am not able to remember at the moment what was wrong
because when it didnt succeed I destroyed the ISO image =)
I will do the same image again and try to run NetBSD again.
If it doesnt work then I will come back and complain =)

> > Any suggestions?
>
> NetBSD offers bootable images now
> (http://www.de.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/faq.html#cdrominstall), and

Well that is some 17mb image and it is crashing at boot.
It says

Kernel size exceeds 4MB
Setting DTLB entry .........
Setting DTLB entry .........
Setting ITLB entry .........

Thats all. I am sorry for the dots =) but I don't have a console cable so
I cant copy paste the exact message.

But tomorrow I will try my way again and lets see what will happen..