Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:45:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Hummel <hummel@www.snybuf.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q: gated, routed, pppd

I know this has been done to death, but the archives on this are so vast
that I probably missed the conclusive response.

After getting frustrated with user ppp I decided to configure pppd per the
handbook. I went very nicely until I started getting the old

ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): Address already exists
rtinit: wrong ifa (0xf0656580) was (0xf066cb80)

that plagued me with user ppp now and again. Netstat led me to the
conclusion that the routing tables were not getting cleared. My first
thought was to try routed, which gave a less ominous

routed[596]: ppp0 is duplicated by ppp0 at 136.16.210.150

Everyone on the archives suggested that routed should not be run.
Suggestions were:

1. ip-down script
2. IPFilter

My questions: Anybody have a surefire or "best" solution?  What would go
in an ip-down script to solve this, 'route flush'? Is gated an option?

Thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave