Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:34:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fredrik=20Carl=E9n?=" <fredrik.carlen@telia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting hostname...

I am about as stupid as they come...I haven't used FreeBSD for a
couple of years, but I'm glad to say that I'm back, and that
FreeBSD5.0 is an improvement (I used 3.2...)

Now to my question (and the reason I feel stupid): I named my computer
"al-djabr" first, but decided to change to "al-khwarizmi", in honour
of the late, great arabic mathematician. My domain is
"intra.arrhythmetic.net", so the hostname would be
"al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net"...I put this in /etc/rc.conf, of
course, and sure enough, the system seems to think it's named
according to my rc.conf-wishes...

When X starts, though, it complains that -  and I quote -
"Can't get own host name. Your system is severely misconfigured".

Now where does this little gem stem from? I've even used profanity,
but nothing seems to work...

Sorry to have to bother you all with these trivialities.

additional redundant(?) info:

# hostname
al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net

# echo $HOSTNAME
al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net

# uname -a
FreeBSD al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003
root@hollin.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386