Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 20:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Aaron Yeung <aaronx@fearme.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems mounting iomega scsi zip drive

re:

the error message was further down in the message
and, here we go, with /dev/rsd0 instead of sd0

ERROR MESSAGE:
-------------------
<snip>

praxis# mount -t msdos /dev/rsd0 /zip100
msdos: /dev/rsd0: Block device required
praxis#

<done>

-------------------

and here's the dmesg output of anything related to aic0

DMESG
---------------
<snip>
aic0 at 0x140-0x15f irq 11 on isa
aic0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(aic0:5:0): "IOMEGA ZIP 100 E.08" type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd0(aic0:5:0): Direct-Access
sd0(aic0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
96MB (196608 512 byte sectors)
<done>

done

thanks again! :-)
        - aaron

On 17-May-98 Julian Elischer wrote:
> firstly use /dev/rsd0 rather than /dev/sd0
>
> a copy of the error might be kinda useful..
>
> julian
>

> On Sat, 16 May 1998, Aaron Yeung wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>

>>         ok the scsi iomega zip drive works now, i have recompiled my kernel
>>         with
>> scbus0 and sd0 uncommented, and when i try to mount it or someone told me to
>> do
>> disklabel -r /dev/sd0, the zip drive makes a noise, and gives an error.
>>
>> - i have an internal scsi iomega zip drive
>> - adaptec 1502i scsi adapter (i used aic0)
>>
>> what should i do?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> - aaron
>>
>> Here's a dmesg output of the aic0
>>
>> aic0 at 0x140-0x15f irq 11 on isa
>> aic0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
>> (aic0:5:0): "IOMEGA ZIP 100 E.08" type 0 removable SCSI 2
>> sd0(aic0:5:0): Direct-Access
>> sd0(aic0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>> sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
>> 96MB (196608 512 byte sectors)
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> Error messages:
>>
>> praxis# mount -t msdos /dev/sd0 /zip
>> msdos: /dev/sd0: Invalid argument
>> praxis# mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s1c /zip
>> msdos: /dev/sd0s1c: Invalid argument
>> praxis# disklabel -r /dev/sd0
>> Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
>> praxis#

E-Mail: aaronx@fearme.com
ICQ: 3401083