Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:59:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Subject:   Re: Best IDSN?

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Jahanur R Subedar wrote:

> HI Adrean,
>
> I am using an Bitsurfer Pro external. Its always better to have it on
> the external because its is to install, you never need any driver for it
> all you need to find is if the what ever com port you have hooked the
> external modem could be com1 which is cuaa0 or com2 which is cuaa1 thats
> it. Next is to setup the ppp thats it. Advantage to Bitsurfer Pro
> external is that it has lights to show that if it connected or not,
> lights to show bytes are being sent. and so many other lights.

Hi,

	I have decided to go with an external TA now using a ByteRunner
16650 I.O board.

	I looked into the Bitsurfer Pro, and it only claims to do 128KBaud
on the I/O port, where as the Courier I claims it can deal with
230.4KBaud.  I understand why you might want to pump that much data
through the I/O port to a modem with compression, but I find this a bit
puzzling for ISDN.

	When running over ISDN, you can get PPP (VJ & BSD) compression,
but that doesn't affect the amount of data going to the TA, right?  It is
compressed/decompressed in the OS.

	Is there a reason why I should care that these two devices claim
to have different I/O port speeds?  Will the Bitsurfer limit throughput in
some way?

thanks,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,