Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:51:59 -0700
From:      "Brian D. Moffet" <brianm@moffetimages.com>
To:        bdodson@scms.utmb.EDU, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for LCD Recommendations

At 08:49 AM 7/28/2003 -0500, M. L. Dodson wrote:
>Stephen J. Roznowski writes:
>  > I'm looking to replace my 19" monitor with an 18"+ LCD screen.
>  >
>  > Anyone got some good recommendations for what is currently on the
>  > market? Any brands to avoid?
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  > --
>  > Stephen J. Roznowski    (sjr@comcast.net)
>
>Avoid Sony.  Particularly the SDM-M81 model.  Mine has been back
>for replacement once (something with the power supply, I think).
>They gave us so much hassle about it, it is too much trouble to
>send the replacement back for the bad pixel column the
>replacement unit developed since arrival.
>
>We've had good luck with ViewSonic in smaller formats.  Haven't
>tried their larger models (like you want).

I own a ViewSonic VX900, http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vx900.htm
which I purchased to use with 4 computers through a KVM switch (the four
computers are 2 SGI machines, a FreeBSD box, and a windows laptop.)  So
far, since April or so, I haven't had a single problem with it, and I
haven't even found a dead pixel.  It handles the sync-on-green that the O2
and Octane want, and handles the Matrox G200 (old card) well under FreeBSD.

FYI

Brian

Brian D. Moffet
brianm@moffetimages.com -- http://www.moffetimages.com