Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:19:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        bob@luke.pmr.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

> Bob Willcox writes (from another thread):
> Note that I have upgraded my system a few times since I first started
> seeing this problem (right now I'm running 2.2-stable as of about 5
> days ago), yet the problem persists.

This is exactly the ambiguity we're discussing.  He says,"as of about 5
days ago."  Wouldn't it be better for the guy trying to fix things if
his uname returned something like "2.2-STABLE-AA"?

If we used [0-9A-Z][0-9A-Z] it would recycle every 1300 (or so) commits.
If we allowed lower-case characters as well, we could run that out to
3844 commits.  How many commits are done in, say, a week?  Or year?

I guess what I'm suggesting is that CVS should increment a variable, and
create a file containing the variable each time a change is committed to
a particular branch.  CVSup and CTM would always have that file as part
of a fetch, and newvers.sh would know how to pick up and jam that data
into vers.c.

Comments?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com