Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:16:51 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, takCoder <tak.official@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: apply /etc/ttys changes on system

d.org] on behalf of Dan Nelson [dnelson@allantgroup.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:54 AM
> To: takCoder
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: apply /etc/ttys changes on system
>=20
> In the last episode (Jun 19), takCoder said:
> > Is there any way to apply /etc/ttys changes on system, except for
> > *restarting system* and *running kill -HUP 1* command ?
> >
> > Due some reasons, i need to change tc value of some of my ttys,
> > periodically. I'm looking for a safer way than *kill -HUP 1* command. S=
o,
> > as this command is not a good one to be used often, any ideas are really
> > appreciated. I couldn't find any other one so far..
>=20
> Why is "kill -HUP 1" unsafe?  It's documented in init's manpage:
>=20
>      Line status (on, off, secure, getty, or window information) may be
>      changed in the ttys(5) file without a reboot by sending the signal
>      SIGHUP to init with the command ``kill -HUP 1''.  On receipt of this
>      signal, init re-reads the ttys(5) file.
>=20

Or "init q"
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.