Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 09:22:20 +0000
From:      Joe Jacobson <marauder@jaygrp.intelihealth.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange reboot saga

Came home a couple of days ago to my wife telling me that my 3.1-STABLE box
rebooted on her when she was surfing.  (She habitually causes netscape 4.5
to crash, but I thought the box going down was a bit strange.)  I find the
machine in a powered down state, bring it back up, and log in as myself.
I immediately startx, the graphics mode changes, and then it hangs for a
couple of seconds, and all of a sudden I'm looking at the boot message
from my graphics card.  No beep, no panic, just an instantaneous reboot.
The machine comes back up, I log in as root, check the logs, (I'm keeping
*.debug syslogs), dmesg, nothing.  startx (as root), nothing.  Log in as
myself, startx, everything is great.  I chalk it up to an act of Eris.

Last night, I built the world, from sources two days ago.  Everything went
peachy.  Recompiled the kernel, rebooted, the box comes up fine.  Log in
as myself, startx, it reboots.  WTF?  Watch the box come up again, log in
as myself, startx, it reboots again.  WTF?!?!  I let the machine come up,
and then go to bed, thinking I fscked up the installworld or something.
Wake this morning, log in as root, check the logs, nothing. startx, works
like a champ, logout, login as myself, startx, works great.

If anyone is interested, I suppose I could compile a debugging kernel,
reboot, and then startx....

--
Joseph Jacobson <jacobson@pobox.com>    Finger for PGP
#include <std/disclaimer.h>