Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:08:15 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@earthlink.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login and password

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 11:58:05PM +1200, cjc wrote:
> I have just installed FreeBSD on a hard drive and after the startup is finished ,it asks for Login and then Password.
> Thinking that i could set a login name and password that the system would remember i typed in my surname and used it also as the password. I then got the message "incorrect".
> i tried again and the same result.so i cannot go any further until i know if the is a default login and password that can be used.Please let me know what I have done wrong and how to proceed.The version is FreeBSD 2.2.6

Towards the end of your install, were you not asked to enter a root
password? If you were and you remember the password, enter 'root' and
the password at the appropriate prompts. First thing after that is to
add a non-root user for your day-to-day activities, see adduser(8).

If you were not prompted for a root password or you forgot it, you need
to boot into single-user mode to set it. Geez... been a while since I
had to boot a 2.2.x system into single user... It might be easier for
all of us if you boot the installation floppy again and go to the option
to reset the root password.