Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:58:15 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to get an HP Scanjet to work (again).

Good glad that you managed to locate the sane configuration directory .

The file that you need to modify is :
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf

If you like to know more about it see:

 man sane-dll

If you want to know about sane support for your HP scanners see:
man sane-hp

In your case configure sane like this:
---------------------
/usr/local/etc/sane.d:/dll.conf
hp

---------------------
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf
/dev/pass2

In my case, I have :

cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf
umax

cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax.conf
/dev/pass1

If you need to know about xscanimage for instance how to use sane
with gimp:

man xscanimage:
RUNNING UNDER THE GIMP
       To run xscanimage under the gimp(1), simply copy it to one
       of  the gimp(1) plug-ins directories.  If you want to con-
       serve disk-space, you can create a symlink  instead.   For
       example, the command

              ln -s /usr/local/bin/xscanimage ~/.gimp/plug-ins/

       adds  a  symlink  for  the xscanimage binary to the user's
       plug-ins directory.  After creating this symlink, xscanim-
       age will be queried by gimp(1) the next time it's invoked.
       From  then  on,  xscanimage   can   be   invoked   through
       "Xtns->Acquire Image->Device dialog..." menu entry.

       You'll  also find that the "Xtns->Acquire Image" menu con-
       tains short-cuts to the SANE devices that  were  available
       at  the time the xscanimage was queried.  For example, the
       first PNM pseudo-device  is  typically  available  as  the
       short-cut "Xtns->Acquire Image->pnm:0".  Note that gimp(1)
       caches these short-cuts in ~/.gimp/pluginrc.   Thus,  when
       the list of available devices changes (e.g., a new scanner
       is installed), then it is typically desirable  to  rebuild
       this  cache.   To  do  this,  you  can either touch(1) the
       xscanimage binary  (e.g.,  "touch  /usr/local/bin/xscanim-
       age")   or   delete   the   plug-ins   cache   (e.g.,  "rm
       ~/.gimp/plug-ins").    Either   way,   invoking    gimp(1)

Here is the nice Web pointer to the SANE project:

http://panda.mostang.com/sane/

   A side note with respect to the FreeBSD scsi api,
   the last time that I checked your pass<number>
   devices must be named "pass" that is if I create
   a device node : mknod foo c 31 3 which in
   my case is my scsi scanner the scsi library
  will fail to access my scsi scanner.

Last but not least gimp/sane with my umax scsi scanner works
wonderfully over here and since you well pointed it out you
can access sane over the network which I have done
in the past over here.

If sane still does not work for you , don't hesitate to e-mail

--

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@star-gate.com