Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:33:51 -0500
From:      Laurent Delfosse <delfosse@delfosse.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Changed targets, /dev MAKEDEV problem

Hi,
	I have read through the 21.4 section of the Handbook to try
and figure this out, but have not been able to completely fix my box:
	I recently decided to reorganize my disks in my Athlon/IDE
FreeBSD4.7 system.  I removed the primary master disk, since it was all
Windows, and changed the remaining FreeBSD disk to be the master.  This
of course changed the target of the disk.  I was able to boot the fixit
disk and remake the ad0s1* partitions, which were / /var and /usr, however
my swap and 2 other large partitions were ad1s3b, ad1s2e and ad1s4e
respectively, and I cannot get my system to remake them, even with
MAKEDEV ad0s2|s3|s4 etc....  All that it shows is ad0s2, s3, s4 without
any slices in the /dev directory.  From the address, I think I could
predict/manually make the devices, but I'm not sure how to do it.
	Does anyone have any ideas?  fdisk sees the other partitions
inside FBSD.

	Thanks,

	Laurent
--