Date:      Mon, 26 May 2008 12:21:05 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <parish@magichamster.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stick memory USB

Sergey Zaharchenko wrote:
> Hello Mark!
>
> I had a similar problem with my card reader. AFAIU the problem with
> those is that they don't report media change events; the system gets to
> know what's there only when it tries to access it, one way or the other.
> This might be of help both to you and to the OP:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-January/138907.html
>
> It's not beautiful, but it works.

Hi Sergey, yes that is it, thanks.

If I connect the reader to the USB hub first then put the card in, it
only creates the top level devices, but it I put the card in the reader,
_then_ connect the reader then all the devices are created.

I guess that to make this work with my phone I would have to connect the
phone when it is switched off, then switch it on - but it is quicker to
make two mount attempts ;-)

At least I know what is happening now, and that it's not something
broken with my system.

Regards,

Mark