Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 21:27:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some recent changes to GENERIC

After speaking with David on the phone, I decided to remove the
following entries from GENERIC:

sio2
sio3
lpt2
mcd1
lnc1

I would also like to remove:

ed1
lp1

But will wait for more feedback on that (I think that ed1 should at
least go).  I've undertaken this housecleaning because I feel that
GENERIC has built up more than its fair share of historical cruft
(many of the doubled entries predating userconfig) and we need to get
back to the concept of GENERIC as a "just get it installed with as
little wasted space as possible so that it still fits on one boot
floppy" kind of kernel image.  As I said, many of the items I
elimiated were also historical relics from before userconfig and
there's no reason in the world why you now can't just tweak, say, sio0
to match whatever port you like (as goes for all the ethernet
drivers).  Once you're up, you can then compile a kernel which matches
your various audio/video/controller cards and jettison GENERIC like a
multi-stage rocket discards its booster stage. :-)

I also don't really want to get into an extended debate on how someone
really liked the handiness of having, say, sio2 and sio3 around so
that they never had to compile a kernel to recognise their 4-port
serial gommulator card.  GENERIC isn't meant to please everyone or
it'd have sound blaster and joystick entries and in there too. :-)

					Jordan