Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 2009 08:24:14 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@altadena.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug between DRM, MSI, or somewhere, re7-stable amd64

--=-CY0UDfTW5oVKZqYQu+ES

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 21:52 -0400, Pete Carah wrote:
> I updated my recently acquired core-2 duo laptop to 7-stable amd64 (I=20
> had been running 7-stable i386 with few problems) and have acquired an=20
> apparent irq problem.
>=20
> Fortunately in debugging a linux shared-interrupt problem about a month=20
> ago I learned that the X server will happily accept mouse motion as if=20
> it was a display interrupt, so at least with some inconvenience I can=20
> read the screen...  (the keyboard isn't so obliging)
> Ours does this too...
>=20
> /usr/src was picked up via svn on last Saturday morning EDT, ports via=20
> csup about the same time.  I have no idea if this bug is in the intel=20
> driver, drm, or the core msi code...  There are 2 peripherals that dmesg=20
> says uses msi - re0 (which doesn't get a kernel thread indicated in ps=20
> for either the stated irq (257) or re0) and drm0/vgapci0 (which=20
> indicates irq256 in systat and ps).  As I said, this worked properly=20
> with earlier source (about a week) in i386 mode.  I've used both G45 and=20
> re controllers in (f10) linux msi mode with no problems in both 32 and=20
> 64-bit.  Fortunately this laptop now has enough disk to triple-boot so=20
> at least something works...

Yes, Intel still has issues.  I do have a patch that reworks the
interrupt handling and gets Intel chips working.  It isn't safe to
commit yet though.  It works correctly on my G45, but I have had reports
that GM45 is still broken somehow.  As a workaround you can disable MSI
for just drm using loader tuneable hw.drm.msi=3D0.

robert.