Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:58:42 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Santos <casd@myrealbox.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this still actual?

On 08/27/02 11:44 AM, "Santos" <casd@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1148/sam0107a/0107a.htm and
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1147/sam0108q/0108q.htm
>
> Even with FreeBSD tuned, it only has similar performance comparing to
> the others untuned OSes, including Windows 2000! I thought FreeBSD was
> the fastest on x86. They used their MailEngine software but still..
> Maybe using a diferent MTA would show other favorably results?
> So, why people say FreeBSD is the fastest, when benchmarks prove the
> contrary? What has changed, perfomance-wise since that article (july 2001)?

Well remember first of all this is a benchmark of their application on
FreeBSD.  This is not a general FreeBSD benchmark.   Also, imho, benchmarks
are extremely subjective.  The people running the benchmark are the biggest
variable, their expertise and their agenda.  IIRC they had in fact not
simply used and untuned box but had mistuned the implementations.  My
benchmarks have always been personal experience.  Now FreeBSD isn't the best
tool for every job.  But as a mail server it has never failed me.  I've used
primarily Sendmail or postfix and FreeBSD screams with those two when setup
properly.

HTH,

Larry