Date:      05 Nov 2002 10:03:35 -0600
From:      Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
To:        Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop 'short list'?

--=-CXtb04c/MPSfdalnw1f7

I just setup FreeBSD on my Fujitsu E6550, I've pretty much gotten
everything to work besides USB printing. I can play DVD, wireless works
(the disconnect/reconnect problem doesn't really bother me), power
management with APM works way better than Windows. My ATI video card
works well with the "ati" XFree server.

I bought mine from Fuji's online outlet, paid less than $1k for it about
a year and a half ago. If I were to buy a notebook now I'd probably get
an iBook though. =3D)

--Andrew

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 08:47, Mike Harding wrote:
> I don't currently have a laptop, but I need to get one soon.  I'll
> probably be running XP/FreeBSD dual boot.  I haven't found much into
> on the web, sorry about bothering the list.  Had a few questions:
>=20
> - What are some good laptops for FreeBSD?  By this I mean
>   - installs
>   - suspend and resume work (or whatever power functions, I don't know
>     if suspend to disk is supported)
>   - 3d Video is supported (maybe) meaning non-nvidia, right?
>   - The ultra-lightweights have some appeal to me, I don't know that
>     I'm looking to replace my desktop, so the really small laptops
>     seem nice, unless they're not usable for extended periods because
>     of a small screen or keyboard.
>=20
> Any stores that have good stock?  I haven't really been able to look
> at laptops.  Any good deals out there?
>=20
> Also, how much memory should I get for XP?  I know that it's a pig - I
> will be using powerpoint, but mostly just Office.
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> - Mike H.
>=20
>=20
--=20
andrew y ng  <ayn@andrewng.com>  http://andrewng.com

fingerprint :
46a1 29ff 893a 0381 dc81  1e1e bed8 e882 9bfc 594c

--=-CXtb04c/MPSfdalnw1f7

--=-CXtb04c/MPSfdalnw1f7--