Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:36:05 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@outgoing.verizon.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP, dynamic IPs, and handling renumbering

On 09/29/02 06:50 PM, Mikko Ty?l?j?rvi sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > I have a new question.  I have ppp set up on interface tun0, got my IP
> > and all, handling the DSL connection quite nicely - so far.
> >
> > Now the question:  Since the IP is dynamic, I have some things that
> > need doing anytime it changes, like update the Apache config and
> > restart it, update the zoneedit dns records so I still get my mail,
> > etc.  Where do I handle this? Is there an exit hook I can specify for
> > ppp to call when it gets a new IP?
>
> The "hooks" go in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup and /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown.  The
> ppp(8) man page is kind of long, but well worth the read.  There are
> assorted sample files in /usr/share/examples/ppp/ too.

Awesome.  Any idea where the broadcast address can be found?  - for
the firewall rules.

> > I can't even find the dhcp lease or the network broadcast info.  When
> > I was with AT&T, it was basic DHCP and it all went into
> > /var/db/dhclient.leases.  The only place I can get the IP from now is
> > ifconfig tun0
>
> [...]
>
> You are not getting your address via DHCP, as you are using PPP which
> does its own address negotiation.  One of these days I will understand
> the point of running PPP over ethernet...

Either way, I'm finding the subtle differences a bit confusing.  I
just need to handle the changes, and kick the appropriate tires when
necessary.

Thanks a bunch.
Lou

--