Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 17:33:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sorry, I just couldn't let this go by...

> >   Is the notoriously well clued-in
> >    Gartner Group's (NOT) claim that Linux is the only non-Microsoft OS
> >    to gain marketshare any more credible?
>
> Yes. They're paid big bucks and are in a fiercely competitive market
> where customers demand accuracy.

Haha.  You have a lot more trust in people who are paid big bucks than
I do, clearly, and also are assuming that their results aren't simply
OLD at this point.  When was that report generated?  What figures were
the person or persons generating the report using at the time?  It's
quite possible for highly skilled, well-paid people to make mistakes
even with the best of intentions or we wouldn't have lost a shuttle
and the U.S. government would operate like a swiss watch (one could
correctly deem international politics to be "fiercely competetive" and
the US government is certainly paid some of the biggest bucks of all).
And no, this isn't simply a straw-man argument, this is a direct
refutation of your claim that being in a competetive market and being
paid big bucks is some sort of instant ticket to Objective Truth(tm).

> No. The installed base appears to be growing, slowly. But an increase
> in numbers does not necessarily indicate an increase in market share.

Slowly?  I don't see where you get that impression and, again, I don't
think you're even bothering to try and look for data beyond what's
already been chewed up and regurgitated by the likes of the Gartner
Group.  David asked for numbers and so far all you've given us is
somebody's canned report and a single URL from the notoriously
inaccurate "queso" stats (and for more info on why I think it's
inaccurate, do a slashdot search for "queso" and read up on the
flames).  That's not citing stats, that's looking for one or two
numbers which fit your agenda and then stopping there.  It's poor
science and it's a poor argument.

> Even David G., whose projections of FreeBSD's growth seem to me to be
> overly optimistic, admits that the gap between Linux and FreeBSD
> is growing. On April 15th of this year, he wrote:

Now here's an issue we can actually agree on.  OF COURSE there's a
growing "gap" between the Linux and FreeBSD camps - I've pointed out
many times that it's definitely the Linux people who are currently
enjoying their 15 minutes of fame and given that they're in the
spotlight, only a fool would suggest that they're going to get the
most hit points right now.  That "gap", however, is not the issue.
The issue is whether or not we are growing TOO and growing fast enough
to satisfy any reasonable requirements for forward momentum.

We are doing all of that and more, and I don't see what purpose would
be served by trying to do a "Michael Jackson", only to become rapidly
overwhelmed by an influx of screaming fans (though ours scream for
different and less pleasant reasons) and resulting in us seeing core
and all our principal developers retiring to various fenced retreats
with only monkeys and small children for company.  Sometimes it's
possible to grow TOO fast, and let me just remind you that where
"Linux" gets to spread the load across a whole bunch of different
distributions and literally thousands of developers, many of whom are
paid for their full-time work by the likes of Red Hat, Caldera, SUSE
and TurboLinux, we have only one FreeBSD and one group of people to
hold the line.  The NetBSD and OpenBSD groups, as competent as they
are, don't have the numbers to share that load to any significant
degree and so it's just us.  That's the "downside" to having only one
distribution and I think it's a reasonable price to pay for not having
our development and our user base splintered across the same number of
distributions that Linux is seeing today.  They might get a lot more
load-sharing out of it, but at a very high price.

You can't always have your cake and eat it too, Brett, that's just the
facts of life.  If we can continue to grow at a *reasonable* pace and
continue to attract good developers, we can have the best of both
worlds in that we'll be creating the kind of product we WANT to create
and getting considerable user buy-in for it.  Will we achieve world
domination and push Linux out of the position it's in?  Quite likely
not, and I'm not even sure that market dominance is even all it's
cracked up to be.  Let me turn the question around: Since you're
clearly so fired up by numbers and nose-counting, why aren't you part
of the Linux community now?  They're clearly where it's at by every
metric you hold dear in the arguments you've been making, so why stick
around here?

Just for the purposes of argument, let's also say that it WAS my
intention to take on Linux in a head-on fight, along with Microsoft
and Solaris since a competitor is a competitor, after all, and we
can't afford to ignore Russia while we're attacking England.  What do
you seriously think that would take?  I'll tell you what it would
take, it would take an entire BATALLION of Brett Glasses and (one
hopes) a few armies worth of developers in the background to produce
something even worth evangelising about.  You can't really be so
egotistical as to asssume that you, single-handedly (or even you and
50 other guys with a few million dollars worth of capital), can
compete with Red Hat and its 2 billion dollar war market cap?  And
that's just ONE of groups you'd have to defeat to push Linux from its
perch.  The folks at SUSE and TurboLinux might not be Red Hat but they
have their own millions, and I can assure you that they wouldn't take
any serious attempt to unseat them lying down.  Yet still you come
here with your little war plans and your pointy stick and tell us that
we can all charge the enemy's line of assembled M1 tanks if we're all
just pure of heart and make sure to smear the magic chicken blood on
our chests which wards off bullets.  Uh huh.  Go for it, Brett, and
we'll all be behind you in the follow-up attack, I promise. :-)

I think we're doing very well right now and I would personally HATE to
see us attempt to grow so fast that we leave all of our traditional
goals behind and instead start doing what marketing tells us we should
be doing, the first thing probably being to drop all of our ideas
about being a robust solution and instead do 14 releases a year, each
one with a big PR blitz behind it and some fancy packaging to make up
for the fact that the bits are actually rushed-out crapola.  And oh
yeah, we should also name it to "FreeLinux" and drop that whole BSD
kernel thing since OBVIOUSLY it's Linux which has the mindshare and we
should all tap into that immediately.  Hell, they'd probably even be
RIGHT to suggest such things on a purely objective basis, but then we
wouldn't be FreeBSD anymore either and what would honestly be the
point?

I'm still waiting for some concrete proposals from you which explain
just how exactly we're going to compete with Linux where it's
currently strongest without compromising our own principles for being
the technically sound, well thought-out solution.  I imagine that BMW
went through a similar soul-searching crisis in the 60's, when a
little automotive upstart called Volkswagon started stamping out
beetle-shaped cars in huge quantities.  I'm even sure that some
marketing execs probably came to them with the best of intentions at
some point and said "stop focusing on producing a really nice luxury
automobile, get some sheet metal in here and stamp out something to
compete with VW!  There's no clearly future in producing an expensive,
high-quality car - just look at their sales figures!"

You claim that you're here to identify and solve problems but, like
those hypothetical execs, I think you're also far too myopically
focused on the Brett Glass Method of marketing and have lost your own
ability to see the forest for the trees.  Of course, every time
someone refuses to toe the Brett Glass party line, you cannot tolerate
the faintest rumblings of dissent and do your best to shoot the
messenger.  Does that sound familar, by any chance? :-)

- Jordan