Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 20:27:40 -0800
From:      "Brian O'Connor" <brianoc@gil.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   File System Fragmentation

In the process of transferring FreeBSD onto my second PC at home
I managed to get the /usr filesystem to swap from time optimization
to space optimization.  The /usr filesystem now reports 5.6 %
fragmentation.  Is this significant?  How does one go about
(to use the DOS terminology) compressing this filesystem?  The
above fragmentation figure is from fsck.

Having had the filesystem swap over to space optimization, would
it have swapped back to time optimization when I removed the
large tar files after untarring them?  If not, is the change capable
of being reversed, and if so how?  What are the performance
penalties associated with space optimization percentage-wise?

The /usr filesystem is about 196 meg with about 125 megs used
after transferring from my first PC.

Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA.

Brian