Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:12:50 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Victor M. Carranza G." <victor@mp.lex.gob.gt>
Subject:   Re: Preventing stealing of IP address...

> What can I do to prevent my FreeBSD server's IP address from being
> "stealed" by a misconfigured network client? I mean... when somebody in
> the same network configures her machine with the same address as the
> FreeBSD server, the server losts access to the network until the client
> releases the address!

This one is really easy to solve.  Take a very big stick and
walk to the offending machine.  Confront the user and say: "Next
time you use that address, I am going to come back here with
this stick and smash that machine to pieces.  And if there's
another next time after that, I am going to come back here with
my stick and kill you."  Then walk away quietly.

There are other methods, but they all lack the fundamental
appeal of this technique.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>