Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:18:23 +0300
From:      Fred Souza <cseg@storming.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 6x20 + HP 6020 issue

Hi everyone,

  I've just gotten two pieces of old hardware (an Adaptec 6x20 SCSI
  controller and a HP 6020 CD-R), and was trying to make them to work
  with FreeBSD (I'm running 4.7-PRERELEASE). I've tested the hardware
  with Win2k and it works properly, but with FreeBSD it does not.

  At boot-time, the kernel detects the aic0 device correctly, displays
  the info on it and goes on until it tries to detect the devices
  attached to it. Then it hangs and just stays there forever. A lot of
  messages saying it timed-out while trying to communicate with the
  device show up, but nothing else happens.

  The options/devices I added to the kernel config file are:

  device          aic0    at isa?
  device          scbus
  device          cd
  options         SCSI_DELAY=0

  Although I also tried the GENERIC kernel (from the same tree I
  compiled my custom one, 4.7-PRERELEASE, Sept 13), and it hangs at the
  same point as my custom kernel, only difference being it tells you
  it's gonna wait 15 seconds for the devices to settle.

  The SCSI_DELAY=0 is intentional, as I read on the manpage that it'd
  reset the delay to the lowest possible, 100ms. I don't think the delay
  is the issue here, though, but if any of you can show me how that could
  be the problem, I'd really appreciate it. I tried searching for
  answers in both FreeBSD.org mailing lists and Google, but no success up
  to this moment.

  Has anyone else experienced this problem, or just can enlighten me as
  to get it fixed? Please CC any replies to me, as I am not subscribed
  to the list.

  Thank you all in advance,
  Fred

  PS: If other info on the system/hardware is needed, mail me and I'll
  send it.

--
"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and
to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."