Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:14:34 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Numbers of Packages (KDE)

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:20:19AM -0800, Albert Kinderman wrote:
> This week I wanted to upgrade to KDE2.1 using packages (not
> ports).  On 3/13, using stand/sysinstall, I found kdelibs-2.1,
> kdesupport-2.1, etc and installed them.  However, I could not find
> kdebase-2.1.  I also could not find it on the ftp sites.  On 3/14,
> I found kdebase-2.1 and installed it.
>=20
> However, the packages installed on 3/13 had a dependency on
> libmng-0.9.3, while the kdebase-2.1 package installed on 3/14 had
> a dependency on libmng-1.0.0.  There was a similar discrepency in
> the version of libaudiofile required.  When I rechecked this
> morning, 3/15, kdelibs-2.1 now depends on the newer libs.
>=20
> If the different versions of the kde packages depend on different
> versions of various libraries, why do they not carry different
> minor version numbers (e.g., kdelibs-2.1.1 ) so that you can
> install a consistent set?  =20

Because that would be too hard to manage.  The packages depend on
whatever version of the dependencies exists in the ports collection at
the time they're built.  Large packages with many dependencies like
KDE (or worse, GNOME) might have a dependency updated every few days,
which would cause several version bumps per week under your system, as
well as causing massive workloads for committers to track down and
bump the version on every port which depends on a port they upgrade.

Some changes are on the horizon to fix this by allowing packages to
depend on a range of versions of their dependencies, but today you
just have to live with it (force the installation with -f if you don't
want to download the new version of the child)

Kris

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A--