Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:30:01 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports need a uniq identifier, do you have any suggestion?

--MmQIYbZiCoQ2kDro

Hi all,

In the ports tree we lack a unique identifier, while we could live without it
until now, it is more than needed for 2 upcoming features: pkgng and stage
directory support.

unique means something that will always be the same what ever the options are
and what ever the runtime they use are. But also means unique in term of in the
whole ports no other package will share its identifier.

currently the only equivalent of this in the ports tree is the origin of a
package, which will no more be unique with the upcoming sub package support
(coming along with stage directory) aka 1 origin to produce n package.

UNIQUENAME and LATEST_LINK fails in that area because they both can change
according to the runtime: py27- for example which will become py30- if you
change the default python.
LATEST_LINK by default also append the PKGNAMEPREFIX which some ports can be
really creative with.

should we introduce something new, should we fix one of the above? do you have
any suggestion?

regards,
Bapt

--MmQIYbZiCoQ2kDro