Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:20:48 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (Bug?) Console toasted by XFree 3.9.15

Kazutaka YOKOTA:

 |> |
 |> |Which video card and X server are you using?
 |>
 |>      CARD  : STB Velocity 3D 4Meg (S3 Virge/VX)
 |>      SERVER: s3virge
 |>  X VID MODE: 1600x1200 virtual, 1344x1008x16bpp actual
 |>SYSCONS MODE: 132x43
 |>
 |>I tried the vga driver first, thinking the old SVGA server might have been
 |>rolled into that, but it didn't know 16bpp.  So I switched to s3virge.
 |
 |Are you able to switch between the X session and text vtys by
 |hitting Ctl-Alt-Fn while the X server is running?

No.  When I try to switch to a console tty, my video card loses its signal.

(If I recall the monitor viewmeter correctly, the video card is thrown down
into a 2KHz horizontal, 0 Hz vertical setting -- or something along those
lines).

 |You set syscons into the VESA 132x43 mode.  How did you do that?
 |Did you run vidcontrol by hand?  Or, you run it in /etc/rc*?

/etc/rc.local:
   vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 -f 8x8 cp866-8x8
   vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 132x43
   vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv1 132x43
   vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv2 132x43

 |Are all vtys set in this 132x43 mode? Or, just a single vty is set
 |to this mode?

All vtys.

 |Have you ever start the X server when all vtys are in the standard
 |80x25 mode?

I just tried that.  Quiting/suspending XFree86 3.9.15 toasted the video
clocks just the same as before with 132x43.

 |Have you had the same or similar problem before with the previous versions
 |of XFree86?

No.  XFree86 3.3.3.1 works just fine quiting/suspending X to 80x25 or 132x43.

Thanks,

Randall