Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:06:29 -0700
From:      The Mad Scientist <madscientist@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Subject:   Re: Help me win the MS-Proxy/ipfw war

At 01:26 PM 9/28/99 +0200, you wrote:
>"Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com> writes:
>>                       (what would you consider the recommended hardware for
>> a FreeBSD firewall gateway to a 128K ISDN link?).
>
>P90 with 32 MB RAM, an 800 MB disk, a high-speed RS232 port and an
>NE2000 network adapter.
>
>Of course, that kind of stuff is so obsolete (thank you, Microsoft)
>that you'd have a hard time getting your hands on it, so go for a
>Celeron 350 or something.
>
>DES
>--
>Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no

I'm running a 486 75MHz with 16M and 800M disk, 3 NE2000 NICs.  It runs a
22 rule set and NAT. (plus qmail, ssh, etc)  You could probably just find
this kind of hardware behind a computer store.  The machine never pages,
never drops under 90% idle cpu time.  My connection is a 300K down/128K up
DSL line.
-Dean