Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:40:12 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        cem@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PRs are being closed for bogus reasons :-(

On Fri, 2018-06-01 at 11:23 -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 2:09 AM, Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher@yandex.ru> wrote:
> >
> > On 01.06.2018 00:02, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see us do a lot better at dealing with "PRs with patches" --
> > > even more so than "can't get FreeBSD to run" -- but without some kind
> > > of set of new volunteers willing to work on only such issues, it simply
> > > isn't going to happen.
> > I suggest to forcibly subscribe any committers to the freebsd-bugs@
> Hi Andrey,
>
> Maybe this proposal was made in jest, but I actually like the idea.
> The dominant noise of freebsd-bugs@ comes from follow-up comments, bug
> status notifications (sometimes bulk changes made by e.g., Eitan), or
> direct email reply discussion (not really sure why bugs@ isn't just
> treated as announce-only).
>
> It's still sort of a firehose if you *just* receive new bug reports,
> but it's much more manageable and you can click through any that look
> interesting and mark the rest read with no risk of future
> notification.
>
> So my modified proposal is:
>
> 1. Create an announce-only bugs list that only receives new ports.
> Maybe it can have a name incorporating "triage."  I don't care.
> 2. Subscribe committers to it by default.
> 3. Encourage people to stay subscribed and help them set up inbox
> filters to separate it from higher priority email, so it's less of a
> nuisance.
> 4. Finally, allow opting out.  Bug triage isn't for everyone.  But it
> is definitely an area where "many hands make light work," and we don't
> have a lot of hands doing it right now.
>
> Special thanks to Mark, who spends an amazing amount of time helping
> to triage the incoming bug firehose, annotate bugs with patches, and
> get bugs in front of relevant eyeballs.
>
> Best,
> Conrad
>
> What Is Core Doing About It?™

I like the idea of a list that just annouces new bugs but contains no
other traffic. I sometimes stumble across bugs by accident that I feel
like are in my wheelhouse or are trivial to fix. An announce-only list
would probably make a few more of those drop into my lap.

Do you envision people being able to comment/reply/post to the list in
general? What I'm curious about is the level of non-announce mail
that's going to be on the list. If it turns into general chit-chat
about the bugs that are announced, the noise level goes way way up.
Also, that would encourage discussion related to the bugs which should
probably happen in bugzilla comments rather than out-of-band mail.

Hmm, something that could reduce the traffic even more would be to send
out a once-daily mail summarizing the short description lines of all
bugs entered in the past 24 hours. Maybe that could be done and sent to
a few appropriate existing lists (one or more of stable@, current@,
ports@, etc, depending on the metadata in the PRs).

-- Ian