Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:32:27 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tammer Saleh <tsaleh@scs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:   Re: Problems with STABLE on X23 thinkpad.

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:19:00 -0700
> From: Tammer Saleh <tsaleh@scs.uiuc.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> --zhXaljGHf11kAtnf
>
> I'm having some problems with FreeBSD on my X23 thinkpad which are bad
> enough to make me consider switching back to linux.  I was wondering if
> anyone here with an X series machine has see the same problems or knows of
> an answer.
>
> The first problem is an intermittent kernel panic upon resumeing from a
> suspend.  This probably happens 5 - 10% of the time, which is not
> horrible, but crashes and lost information is always a Bad Thing.
>
> The second problem is a predictable kernel panic.  This occurs every time
> I attach the unit to the Ultra-base X2 dock.  The dock contains a
> CD-ROM drive and a built in floppy drive (as well as power, serial,
> parallel, and mouse ports on the back).  The unit does not panic when
> removed from the base-station, but only when inserted into it.

What version of FreeBSD? There were problems with the ata driver that
caused crash on resume and other crashes. (I saw the crash on resume
on my 600E.) If you are not running 4.6.2, RELENG_4_6 or RELENG_4 from
fairly recently, you may have the this problem. I don't remember
exactly when it was fixed.

I have not been having any similar problems with my T30 which started
out at 4.6.2 and runs Stable at 4.7-RC.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)