Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:09:16 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Armada M700 DVD drive?

* Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com> [020118 16:52] wrote:
> Has anyone gotten a Compaq Armada M700 to install from CD-ROM?  I can
> boot both a 4.4-RELEASE and a 4.5 "big install" disk with no problem,
> but the kernel does not recognize the DVD drive..  I could install
> via the (recognized) built-in ethernet, but if the DVD drive is not
> going to work, I'd have to waste my time.
>
> Win2K sees the drive as a "Compaq DVD-ROM DV28EA01"

Check the drive's settings for
primary/slave/master/cable-select/proprietary-compaq-poop,
make sure it's correct, vendors have been shipping them with
'cable select' or 'proprietary' and it can lead to the OS being
unable to detect it.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductable donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/