Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:19:44 +0800
From:      Siquijor Philips <siquijorphilips@gmail.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to generate IPv6 RA without any prefixes?

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> In IPv6 it should be possible to generate a Router Advertisement which
> contains no prefix options (the idea being that I want the host to
> populate its default router list but nothing else). However, I cannot
> seem to get rtadvd to do this.
>
> If I start rtadvd with no /etc/rtadvd.conf file, it sends RAs with a
> prefix option corresponding to the IPv6 address of the interface. In
> the /etc/rtadvd.conf I can explicitly specify prefixes ("addr"), but
> I can't find any way to specify that no prefix options should be sent.
>
> Any suggestions?

You mean to say that you want your router to act as the default IPv6
gateway only advertising default route via RA and the IPv6 prefixes
are managed by other means such as DHCPv6 server? Because by its the
only way I can think of with your case now. You can specify
'pinfoflags' with 'l' in the /etc/rtadvd.conf to suppress the prefix
information option being advertised.