Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 22:38:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nathan Vidican <nate@MNSi.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: still trying to find info...

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> Obviously then, the handbook does not cover xterminals. Does anyone know
> where I may find more detailed information regarding setting them up?

An Xterm is basically a netbooting computer.  You need to supply it a boot
image, which should come with the terminal.

When the terminal starts up, it'll issue a BOOTP request to get an address
and ask where to TFTP its boot image from.  Assuming you want your FreeBSD
box to host this thing, you need to set up tftpd and bootpd and get a boot
image.  If you know the model number and parameters you can probably
harass the manufacturer (or your local university) for the image.  Once
started xterms will usually start up to an X server `chooser' where you
can input the X host to log into.

This is at least how the NCD xterms work.  A friend of mine has an HP
xterm and I expect it's similar but has its own tweaks.  I haven't had the
opportunity to play with it yet.