Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:07:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

Mike Smith once stated:

=> =Actually, these  "other" operating  systems avoid  the issue  by not
=> =offering the functionality in question at all.
=>
=> As  I mentioned  earlier, NT  installed onto  a SCSI  Jazz drive  and
=> continues to  boot from  it -- with  two IDE disks  in the  way. Even
=> though it appears as drive J: in the diskmanager. I don't remember it
=> EVER having a problem counting the true memory amount, either, may be
=> others do.
=
=FreeBSD  will do  this  just  fine as  well.

Ok, but there is indeed at  least one other OS, where "the functionality
in question" IS offered... Cookie 1.

=> My point was, that I was told with a very similarly convincing tones,
=> that it will never happen.

=*shrug* They  were wrong.  We rose  above ourselves  and fixed  it. You
=should be happy.

I am.  But only  27 hours ago,  in 199911231817.KAA01017@dingo.cdrom.com
you responded to my (referring to the "unable to mount root" problem):

	> The inability  to boot  after a  seemingly  successful
	> install should be eliminated...

with:

	The only way  to guarantee this is to  cause the install
	to  fail unless  the  installation program  can be  100%
	certain of the bootability of the install.

=> WHY CAN'T IT BE AUTOMATED?
=
=It has  been. I  don't understand what  the problem is  here. It  was a
=problem. It's been fixed.

Unless  there  is  some  gross  misunderstanding,  this  last  paragraph
contradicts the one I quoted from your earlier e-mail. Cookie 2.

Now, if  you just take  back that  "whining" remark, I'll  stop counting
cookies, and will try to live with the  sorrow, that I had to be so rude
as to insist...

I'll even  put the 8) sign  in, even though t.b.  charter expressly (and
rightfully) forbids them. Yours,

	-mi